New Castle, DE – Today, New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced the departure of Chief Financial Officer Brian Maxwell, who will leave county government in early June to pursue a new professional opportunity. The Chief Financial Officer heads the Office of Finance, which is responsible for property tax and sewer fee collections, development and oversight of annual operating and capital budgets, grants administration, money management, financial reporting, payments to county employees and vendors, debt financing and property assessments.
“Under Brian's leadership as Chief Financial Officer there has been remarkable progress in delivering county government services more honestly, transparently and efficiently, from millions of dollars in cost reductions and delinquent tax collections to posting all expenditures of your taxpayer dollars online," County Executive Matt Meyer said. “I wish him well in his future endeavors.”
Mr. Maxwell stepped in as Chief Financial Officer when county government faced a multi-million dollar budget deficit. He developed and implemented a plan to streamline county services, improve collections and insure a sustainable financial future for your county government.
Highlights under County Executive Matt Meyer and Chief Financial Officer Brian Maxwell:
- Took historic steps to create financial transparency, including the public display of all county expenses at http://checkbook.nccde.org
- Collected over 99% of 2017 property taxes, initiated property tax collection effort that secured $1.5 million in short-term delinquent taxes and cut short term delinquency rate by 50%
- Established a first-ever partnership with school districts to collect long-term delinquent property taxes and sewer fees
- Initiated measures to restore fiscal responsibility and reduce the county’s growing structural budget deficit
- Generated over $11 million in savings of your taxpayer dollars ($6.5 million in Fiscal Year 2018; $4.5 million proposed for Fiscal Year 2019) while expanding public services
- Maintained AAA bond rating – achieved by less than 1.5% of all counties
- Eliminated backlogs of 200 property tax exemption applications and 420 property tax appeals
“I want to thank County Executive Matt Meyer for the opportunity to partner with him and his leadership team as we have worked to chart a sustainable financial path forward for New Castle County,” Chief Financial Officer Brian Maxwell said.
County Executive Matt Meyer has named David Gregor to succeed Brian Maxwell as Chief Financial Officer, subject to approval by New Castle County Council. Gregor joined the New Castle County Office of Finance as an Executive Assistant in October, 2017 after 30 years of service in the Delaware Department of Finance, where he had most recently served as the state’s Director of Revenue (2017). Before that, as Deputy Secretary of Finance for the State of Delaware (2010 – 2017), he was responsible for policy development, financial analysis, and public affairs, implemented tax, debt and infrastructure investment policies and managed the state’s multi-billion dollar revenue stream.
Contact: Jason Miller, Director of Communications, 302-545-1462