Absalom Jones Senior Center
As of Monday, March 16, 2020, all Sports and Recreation programs and services are suspended until further notice for the safety of public health due to the Coronavirus, including programs at Rockwood Museum, Carousel Park Equestrian Center, Hockessin Rec Center, Garfield Park Rec Center, Brandywine Town Center, Appoqunimink Rec Center, The Art Studio, Glasgow Bank Barn and Frazier House, and Absalom Jones Senior Center.
Also closed are all libraries and The Reader’s Café at the Route 9 Library.
Parks remain open for exercise and fresh air.
If you have a question regarding meals please call (302) 995-7636 for information.
Free to New Castle County seniors. Stop by to complete a membership form and pick up a newsletter to learn about planned outings and activities.
A hot, nutritious meal or salad bar is served at 11:30 a.m. on weekdays (excluding holidays) for a suggested donation of $2.25 for seniors over age 60, or $4.50 for guests under age 60. Reservations are required by 11:30 a.m. the day before you plan to dine. Please call 302-995-7636 to make your reservation.
Each day, the bus picks up area seniors who come to the center for activities, trips, and a noon-time meal. If you are interested in the bus service, please call the center.
Information & Referrals
Our professional staff provides information and referrals to members on issues important to seniors, such as housing, Medicare, and homemaker services.
- Game room activities: Bingo, pinochle, billiards, shuffleboard, and Wii
Game room is open daily 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Health: Blood pressure screening, Delaware Assistance Prescription Program, Vial of Life, Medicare information, and speakers
- Fitness: Dance classes, water aerobics, Tai Chi, group exercise, walk the gym, beginners dance class, Walking Boot Camp, and Cyn-Win dance / fitness
- Services: Elder info, legal aid, tax assistance by AARP, defensive driving, caregiver information, book and video lending library, and Delaware Energy Assistance Program
- Groups: Advisory Council, Red Hat Society "Sassy Ladies,” Chess Club, Crochet Club, Drama Club, Shuffleboard Club, and Wii Bowling
- Arts and crafts: Watercolor class, paper flower making, and candy making
- Shopping: Trips to the bank, post office, grocery store, Farmers Market, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and more