Development & Planning
Now in its third year, the YPB is the first of its kind in the state and welcomes young NCC residents ages of 16-22 to learn about the dynamics of growth, land development, infrastructure, and much more! Apply today! Read on...
Read the ordinance and learn more today! Read on...
The Department of Land Use is seeking your input as we begin the review and adoption process of the 2021 International Codes and Chapter Six of the New Castle County Code. Read on...
Planning Spotlight: Planning Division Accomplishments Report
The Division has been pivotal in leading County efforts to encourage economic development, expand housing opportunities, job creation and commercial revitalization, while simultaneously preserving critical natural resources such as scenic byways, waterways and farmland.
Understanding the Development Process
The Department of Land Use oversees the review of proposed development plans and rezoning applications to ensure that they meet legal requirements found in the following bodies of law:
- Delaware State Code
- Drainage Code (Chapter 12)
- NC.C. Comprehensive Development Plan
- U.S Constitution
- Unified Development Code (Chapter 40)
With input from state and other county agencies, staff review plans and rezoning applications for details and particulars relating to:
- Building lots
- Fire safety
- Historic resources
- Integration of utilities
- Site drainage and water management
- Transit access
- Transportation flow
- And other components
Protection of the site's natural resources is a high priority. Planners and engineers also encourage applicants to advance the best design possible. In the case of changes to zoning, which must receive County Council approval, the department issues recommendations on the rezoning application.
- SLD1 form (PDF)
- Affidavit for Land Development Submission (PDF)
- Driveways (PDF)
- Housing Types (PDF)
- Land Development Improvement Agreement (LDIA) Information Sheet (PDF)
- Redevelopment Work Table (UDC 40.08.130B) (PDF)
- Re-Zoning 101 Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Subdivision Naming Policy
- UDC Dimensional Standards (PDF)
- Yellow Signs (PDF)
- Zoning Certification Request form (PDF)
- Zoning Districts Information (PDF)