Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions


Q: Where can I pay my bill?

A: County and School property tax bills can be paid by mail using the return envelopes that come with the bills, by going to and clicking on “Online Payments”, or in person at the New Castle County Government Center, 87 Reads Way, in New Castle (cash, check, money order and PIN Debit Cards are accepted at this location).

Q: Can I pay my bill with a credit card?

A: Yes. Major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), electronic check services, PayPal, and PayPal Credit are accepted through our third-party vendor Paymentus, which may charge users a transaction fee based on the amount of the bill (Credit Card fees are 2.35% of the total transaction, but eCheck does not have a fee). Customers can access these services by clicking HERE, or by calling Paymentus at 1-877-225-7351. If you have questions concerning making payments through Paymentus, you may call their customer contact center at 1-800-420-1663.

Q: What time period does the bill cover?

A: The bill covers the fiscal year beginning July 1 and ending June 30. For example, bills for fiscal year 2023, (mailed July 2022) cover the twelve-month period ending June 30, 2023. However, your bill may also include a “Prior Account Balance” if any portion of your balance is unpaid from a previous period.

Q: Does my bill have to be paid in total by the due date? (for the 2022 – 2023 tax cycle, the due date is September 30, 2022)

A: Yes. Any balance that remains on your account as of the following business day (for the 2022 – 2023 tax cycle, that is October 3, 2022), will be subject to an initial 6% penalty for County line items and 5% for School line items, and a 1% penalty each month thereafter on all line items.

Q: How does the assessment relate to the value of the property?

A: Assessment values currently reflect the market value of your property in 1983 – the last time property values were assessed Countywide. Today’s value of a property may be higher or lower.

Q: My mortgage company holds escrow to pay my taxes, why didn’t I receive a bill?

A: If a customer’s Mortgage Company requests their tax bill, they receive the billing information directly from the County. The customer may get their tax information and a printable billing statement using the Parcel Search link on the County’s web site.

Q: I paid off my mortgage. What happens to my tax bill now?

A: Mortgage companies must request bills annually. Any tax bills not requested will be sent directly to the property owner and must be paid in full by the due date.

Q: How do I change my mailing address on the County’s records?

A: A change of address form appears on the back of all bills and can be completed and returned to NCC with your payment. You may also complete the “Billing Address Change Form” on the county’s web site.

Q: I sold my property. Why did I receive a bill?

A: If you receive a tax bill for property that you no longer own, there could be a problem with the transfer, or the deed may not be recorded yet. You may call New Castle County Treasury at (302) 395-5340 for assistance.

Q: How do I qualify for an exemption if I am 65 years old, or disabled?

A: In order to receive an exemption, you must submit an application to the County’s Assessment Division by June 1st. For more information, or to obtain an application, contact Assessments at (302) 395-5520 or CLICK HERE.

Q: How do I apply for the Delaware Senior School Property Tax Credit?

A: Note: this credit for homeowners over 65 years old is separate from the exemption mentioned in the previous question. Separate applications must be filed for each, and there are different deadlines. You must submit an application for the credit together with required documentation to New Castle County’s Treasury Division by April 30th, and you must meet certain qualifications which are described in the application form. You may obtain an application form from NCC’s website or the State of Delaware’s website. You may also obtain an application form (or more information) by calling NCC Assessments at (302) 395-5520. CLICK HERE to go directly to the application form.

Q: How do I qualify / apply for the Disabled Veterans School Property Tax Credit?

A: Information and details on the Disabled Veterans School Property Tax Credit can be found HERE

Q: What is my responsibility for a lost, misplaced, or undelivered bill?

A: All property owners are responsible for paying their tax bills by September 30th. If you do not receive your property tax bills by August 8th, call the billing office at (302) 395-5340. Lost, misplaced, or undelivered bills will not excuse a late payment – penalties will be assessed.

Q: Why is the due date on my bill August 31, 2022 when the 2022 – 2023 taxes are not due until September 30, 2022?

 A: Your bill will only have the due date of August 31st, if your account has a delinquent balance. This “Due Date”, is the date by which any delinquent balance (shown in the “Prior Balance” fields) and any penalty (shown in the “Penalty” fields) must be paid in order to avoid further penalty. The 2022 – 2023 taxes (shown in the “Total Current Tax” fields) don’t need to be paid by August 31st; they can be paid without penalty by September 30th.