About Land Use
Welcome to the Department of Land Use, which regulates planning for all new and existing development in unincorporated New Castle County and enforces the laws governing building & zoning codes and property maintenance. Our employees are engaged in a broad spectrum of land-related processes and activities, from proposed development reviews to permits, licensing of contractors, inspection of construction, enforcement of the property maintenance code, and much more. Please see below for some important notices and current features, and also use the menu on the left to explore our many specialty web pages for the information and guidance you may need. Should you require additional assistance, feel free to contact us using any method at the bottom of this page.
The Department of Land Use Mission:
To preserve and enhance our community’s livability through responsive Land Use services and fostering effective partnerships
Department of Land Use Senior Management:
General Manager - Richard E. Hall, AICP
Deputy General Manager/Code Official - George O. Haggerty, Jr.
Assistant Land Use Manager - James C. Smith Jr., Esq.
- Code Enforcement
- Property Maintenance
- Vacant Property Registration Program
- Vacant Spaces to Livable Places
- Rental Property Registration Program
Assistant Land Use Manager - Andrea Trabelsi, AICP
- Antoni Sekowski - Planning Division
- Joseph Day, III - Code Enforcement Division
- David Holston - Licensing Division (permits & building inspections)
- S. Douglas Hokuf, Jr., P.E. - Engineering Division
- Stacey Dahlstrom, AICP - Comprehensive Planning Division
- Ron Holmes, GISP - GIS Services Division
- Dante Tiberi - Administrative Hearings
- Michele Davis - Technology Services/ePlans
- Nicole Racine - Fiscal Analysis/Budget Administration
- Dawn Thompson - Communications/Media Relations
The Department of Land Use has a zero tolerance gift policy. No gift shall be accepted by an employee from any member of the public when the gift is given as a result of contact created by a New Castle county business relationship.
Keeping our customers satisfied is important to us. Please take our customer satisfaction survey to tell us about your experience and give us input on how we can improve.
We Want to be Your Business-Friendly Destination!
Are you a business owner that could use a little extra help navigating the land development or building processes? Department of Land Use staff are available to meet with any prospective property owner, contractor or developer to explain and answer questions about Department policies and procedures before you formally apply for the service. Our goal is to offer early guidance before you finalize the details of your project, to help save you time, money or frustration. To request a courtesy meeting, call Regina Roark at (302) 395-5404 or email us.