Frequently asked questions for Full-Day and Specialty Camps
What are the Camp hours?
Full-Day Recreation, Specialty and Full-Day Sports Camps run Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., with extended care available 7:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. for an additional $35 per week. Half-Day Recreation Camps run 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and Half-Day Sports Camps run 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Half-Day Art Camps start times vary from class and participant age.
What should my camper wear?
Sneakers and lightweight clothes that are okay to get dirty (open-toed shoes and flip flops are not allowed at camp for safety reasons). Bring a change of clothes on rainy days.
What should my camper bring?
- A backpack with:
- Swimsuit (Full-Day Recreation, Specialty and Full-Day Sports Camps only; see list for camp swim day for camp site)
- Healthy snacks (2)
- Water bottle filled with cold water
- Lunch (Full-Day Recreation, Specialty and Sports Camps only)
- Please label everything!
What should my camper not bring?
- Cell phones, tablets, smart watches, or similar devices
- Money (unless on a field trip for gift shop)
- Handheld video games
- Skateboards/scooters, HEELYS or “hoverboards”
- Personal property, toys, games, jewelry, etc. (unless requested by camp counselors with theme week)
- New Castle County is not responsible for the safety of items brought to camp.
What about lunch?
Send your Full-Day Recreation and Sports camper with a nutritionally-balanced lunch, snacks and water/drinks. Keep in mind there are no refrigerators or microwaves at camp. Packing lunch in an insulated bag or hard-top cooler is recommended, labeled with your camper’s name. Check individual camp locations for free lunches provided by the School District.
Where is the camp office?
Camp offices are located at 77 Reads Way, New Castle 19720 and can be reached at (302) 395-5654.
What happens on rainy days?
Recreation and Specialty Camps are held rain or shine. If it is dangerous weather (thunder and lightning, extreme heat index, etc.), campers move indoors. However, in a light drizzle or rain, we still have limited outside activities and keep playing! Dress appropriately on these days and pack an extra set of clothes. Full-Day and Half-Day Sports Camps may be delayed, postponed or switched to an alternative indoor site in the case of inclement weather. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.